What do you DO all day?! A day in in the life of a SAHM

What do you DO all day?

Don’t you get bored?  It must be nice to have that luxury! Some of us have to actually work for a living!   I could never do that, I’d hate being with my kids all the time.  When they are older you are you going to get a REAL job, right?

As a Stay at home mom I hear these things all of the time.  These are so often said so accusingly, and angrily.

• What do I do all day?

For those that seem to think I lounge around all day in my PJs and eat bon bons, I hate to disappoint you.   You can take a quick peek into my daily schedule.  I do a lot.  I cook, I clean, I teach, I work on my business, we go on field trips, I make repairs around my home. I make art.  I run the kids around.  I keep quite busy.

• 2. Don’t you get bored?

Ummmm did you see the list of things I do in a day?  How could I possible get bored?!?!  I am always doing something.  In fact I have to literally schedule myself a break or else I don’t so it!

• It must be nice to have that luxury! Some of us have to actually work for a living!

Surprisingly, I actually do work as well.  Yes, it is a different type of work, but it is work nonetheless.  I have my work of caring for my home, and family, as well as running my own business.  We aren’t wealthy by any means.  We are very careful with our money.  We don’t go to Starbucks and spend $15 on a giant tripple unicorn poop or whatever, we don’t have fancy cars, we don’t don’t try to keep up with the Jones, or any of those “luxuries”.  Our home is small, our cars are older, I coupon and use cartwheel and iBotta and Groupon.  We plan and save for our family vacations, we buy annual passes to the zoo and science center etc. We budget, we go without, sacrifice, and work hard to live the lifestyle we have chosen.

• I could never do that, I’d hate being with my kids all the time.

Staying home with your kids isn’t for everyone, and thats ok!!  I just so happen to adore it!  Being with my kids is really important to me, and to my kids.  I enjoy being with them.   I have friends who can’t stand being home with their kids, so they work just to escape.  Some work out of financial necessity.  Some really just need to have a job to feel fulfilled.  Whatever the reason, I won’t call you out on not staying home with you kids, so please do me the same courtesy.

• When they get older you are you going to get a REAL job, right?

Why do I need a “real” job?  What is wrong with staying home with my kids?  My kids are older now, but I will continue being a SAHM.  MiniMe is the only one who is always home, as the bigger girls do go to public school.  But even when MiniMe did go to school, I still had a home to clean, I still had food to cook, I still had a business to run.  I enjoy these things so much.  Why would I give that up to satisfy someone elses idea of what my life should look like?

16 thoughts on “What do you DO all day?! A day in in the life of a SAHM

• July 26, 2017 at 1:36 am

Unicorn poop! LOL working from home sounds like a blessing but I’m sure it has its difficulties too. Enjoy!

• July 26, 2017 at 1:57 am

It is a blessing for sure because I can be with my kids and work around my illnesses, but definately has it’s difficulties. It’s always there staring at me!

• July 26, 2017 at 2:33 am

Agreed!!

• July 26, 2017 at 3:46 am

I love being with my little one! And yes I get tired here and there BUT I miss her lots when I’m away from her so I deal with it when we together, hehehe! Funny – someone said to me yesterday, when she’s three you’ll send her to kindy, won’t you?! duh-oh!

• July 26, 2017 at 3:55 am

Oh my! I was always asked when I would put mine in preschool! I never wanted to! Time with them is so precious. It flies by way too fast. My oldest is starting HS in 2 weeks! It’s insane.

• July 26, 2017 at 9:25 am

I have one kid and I always miss her every single minute she’s away from me. That’s why I enjoy being a SAHM so i can be with her… It’s a challenge though!

• July 26, 2017 at 2:24 pm

It is definately a challenge!

• July 31, 2017 at 3:34 pm

It drives me crazy when people think being a SAHM is a lazy vacation, or that my house should be spotless. I want to remind them what it’s like to have a 2 year old. It is definitely a full time job to feed your kids three meals a day, clean the house, entertain your child, and find ways to keep them busy while working on a blog! My mother in law never stayed at home with her kids, and she is always telling me she is in awe of all I do. I am so busy that sometimes I find it hard to find time to take a shower! I love staying at home, but it’s not easier than being a working mom.

• July 31, 2017 at 3:43 pm

That is awesome that your MIL is supportive. So few people are.

Our days are always so full!

For a few years I worked a seasonal job for extra $$ and it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I don’t know how working mom’s do it. They obviously have super powers. For me being a SAHM is a million times easier. But I have never done well holding down a job. I’m just not cut out for it lol.

• July 31, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I am so greatful to stay home with my children. I have seen both sides, working and staying at home and I can say spendiy quality time with my children is amazing and the days as a stay at home mom is just as challenging. Love your article thanks for sharing

• July 31, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Thank you. I too am so grateful to stay home with mine. It is such a wonderful way to spend my days.

• August 1, 2017 at 2:50 am

To be fair there are days when I wonder what I have done all day lol. Everything takes so much longer than I think it will even just grocery shopping or taking the kids to and from places. I’m always so optimistic 😉

• August 1, 2017 at 1:37 pm

LOL. I can absolutely agree with that! There are days when dinnertime sneaks up on me and I look back at the day and think, “huh, well I got nothing accomplished” But I think you are right, a big part of that is because everything does take longer with kids.

• August 1, 2017 at 11:54 am

This is spot on! I love being home with my girl all day, but it’s definitely not for everyone!

• August 1, 2017 at 1:31 pm