Working from home

I am a SAHM, I am also a small business owner.   I work from home mainly.

I am an artist.  So my studio is in my home, and I can work anytime I need to.  I have a lot of freedom in this.  I do sell online, but I also have a booth at our Renaissance Faire and I also sell at 3 major cons in the area (and I’m expanding out into a few different states next year).  So, there are a few weekends a year that I am out of my home working.  But I ADORE it!  I have always got to the Ren Faire as well as Cons, so now I just get PAID to go there and hang out.  Total Win/Win situation for me.  I love what I do.

There are a few disadvantages to working at home

Distractions

A new amazing show has been added to Netflix.  You NEED to binge it.  (ok so I always binge shows while I work so that’s not really a problem for me).  MiniMe wants to play chess.   *text notfication* oooh Michaels just sent me a 50% off coupon.  I’m really craving Carrabbas, lets go!

Your work is always there  Staring at you

It’s hard to “clock out” when you work from home.  I have 3 designated work spaces.  My “outside” studio (my enclosed porch for my ceramic work), my kiln room, and my inside studio (the former dining room).  Seeing as these spaces are in my home, every time I walk by one of these rooms I see a project, or new idea staring at me and I feel the need to work in it.

Friends and family

So often friends and family will pop by to visit or ask favors of you.  They think “Oh she’s home all the time and has nothing better to do than come over and help me with my computer.  Or babysit my kids.  Or spend hours listening to my latest drama”.  Ok maybe they don’t think those exact things, but those are the things they want from you.

There are SO many MORE advantages to working from home.

Freedom

I CAN just pick up and run to Michaels when I get that coupon if I want to.  I can take the day off if I want to.  I can take a week off if I want to.  I can go to the bathroom, have lunch, or take a nap at any time.  I can stop in the middle of the day and take MiniMe on a field trip.  I have the freedom to be creative.

Health

Living with my chronic illnesses, I often have days where I can’t do a whole lot.  Some days I can’t even get out of bed.  Sometimes I have multiple doctors appointments in a week. I even have to be hospitalized sometimes.  So it is very important to me that I can easily work around my health.

Family

I am always here for my kids.  Since I homeschool MiniMe I obviously have to be present everyday for that.  But I am also able to run to the big girls schools if something happens, or chaperone a field trip, or volunteer or whatever.  Or if someone is sick I am able to take them to the doctor, pick up prescriptions, and make sure they are comfortable set up with a movie, a snuggly blanket and a bowl of my amazing homemade chicken soup.   I am available if my husband needs something from work (if it is during season) or of he is home we have so much time together.

Happiness

I absolutely HATE having a “real” job.  When I was able to work, I hated it, ok let me clarify I loved the actual work (in most cases), I hated the corporate BS, the asshole bosses, the lack of creativity, the uncaring management.  I was utterly miserable!  Now I LOVE what I do!

Vacations

We can go on vacation whenever we want!  Well, almost, we still have to work around the big kids school schedules.  But that is it.  If we want to go during Christmas we can.  Most businesses don’t allow you to take time off during the holidays.  But guess where we rang in the New Year this year?  You guessed it!  My favorite!  The Happiest Place on Earth!  DISNEYLAND!

What are your feelings on working from home?  Did I forget anything?

55 thoughts on “Working from home

• August 14, 2017 at 9:57 am

I absolutely love working from home. There are so many more advantages than disadvantages. However, what bugs me the most is that people don’t understand that you are actually working. They think you are just doing nothing 24/7 and belittle you for it.

• August 14, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Absolutely! It’s a common misconception that we lounge around in our Pjs being lazy all day!

• August 14, 2017 at 5:34 pm

I remember when I first started working from home. It was really hard for me to create a proper working schedule but as time went by I managed it. Now I couldn’t imagine myself working a regular job.

• August 14, 2017 at 5:36 pm

It does take some time to figure things out and find what works best for you. I’m glad you did!!

• August 14, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Ah this is such an apt post for me – I work from home, with two young children! I feel I’m always working and feel guilty for this, but then I feel I’m never working and I should be progressing more!
    I think I need set times to work, rather than ‘anytime’ to help my balance!

• August 14, 2017 at 7:27 pm

That is a great idea I have “business hours” that are dedicated to just working. They are kind of a guideline not a hard rule. Lol it’s more for other people, so I can say hey I’m working from X-X so I’m unavailable until after.

• August 14, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I’m really unsure I could work from home I’m not that disciplined. I like that I can leave work stuff at work but I would love to be able to try it out

• August 14, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I think it also may depend on what type of work you do! It isn’t for everyone, but I sure do love it!

• August 14, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I work mostly from home and love it. Great post! It does take discipline, I’ve found.

• August 14, 2017 at 8:45 pm

It does! It can be so easy to slack!

• August 14, 2017 at 9:23 pm

This is what I have to say versus working outside the home once you have children, you’re completely overwhelmed some days no one can help you. I find that I have to do everything at the around the house, work on the blog, and take care of my kids. Something has to get neglected to get the other things taken care of. Yeah sure my husband can help me clean up a little bit but he can’t do all of the work for me online and that’s the problem. When I worked outside of the house if I got behind and needed help I was the boss of my department so I could get people to come help me I don’t have that here. If you’re a blogger or you work on earning sites you have to do all the work yourself. Sometimes I’m tethered to my computer and phone or both. I’m literally working right now from my computer and my phone. Yes the freedom is great I can get up and leave my house if I needed to but when I come back I’m going to have to make it up. It’s really frustrating because most people don’t understand what you’re doing all day and they assume that you have a whole bunch of free time.

• August 14, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Yikes that sounds tough! That is a lot on your plate. It sounds like your work is much more demanding than mine.

My blog is just for fun, so I can’t imagine all of the time and effort that goes into blogging fulltime, but I do know it is a LOT.

My kids are older 14, 13, and 9, so they all can make their own snacks and entertain themselves. Though I do home school my 9 year old so that takes time for field trips and research, and all kinds of things.

• August 15, 2017 at 2:16 am

Love this!! It’s soooo true!!

• August 15, 2017 at 2:18 am

Thanks 😁

• August 15, 2017 at 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing this! 🙂 Even though I’m only on my way to monetize my blog, I can relate to this article because I’m already working hard to make my blog successful. 🙂

• August 15, 2017 at 7:23 pm

That’s awesome! Hard work definately pays off. Good luck!!

• August 15, 2017 at 6:50 pm

This is a great post, very interesting! I think if I worked from home I would definitely get distracted SO easily.. On the other hand I think that if I got into a routine and had a separate office space I could manage it pretty well! Great piece🙌🏼

• August 15, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Thank you! It can take some trial and error to figure out what works for you!

• August 15, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I totally have a love/hate relationship with working from home! It’s so nice to have the freedom to do what I want, but sometimes I wish I could leave for a minute lol

• August 15, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Haha I know the feeling 😀

• August 15, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Working from home definitely has pros and cons! But, I’d have to say the pros far outweighs the cons (at least for me) !

• August 16, 2017 at 3:32 am

I agree. The pros are SO with it!

• August 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Definitely! It’s such a give and take I work a few days from home and a few days in the office. The days I’m in the office, I want to stay home. LOL. But vacation is definitely easier to just pack up and go.

• August 15, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Being able to work at home and at the office sounds like it might be a nice balance! You get to get out of the house and interact with people sometimes but not too much.

• August 15, 2017 at 7:31 pm

One day I wish to work from home. Whenever I have children I want to be there for them from newborn to toddler! I think work is so stressful, for me at least lol. I count down the hours until I get to go home ugh!

• August 16, 2017 at 3:34 am

That is how I felt when I worked a regular job. I was always stressed. Even when I got home I would still stress over work.

It’s awesome to be able to be home with your kids. I love being here with them.

• August 15, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I love working from home. Tho people who don’t sometimes don’t get it or respect my work time because I don’t punch a clock or answer to a boss. It’s sooo frustrating and boardline disrespectful…great post. Thanks!

• August 16, 2017 at 3:35 am

The respect thing is always a bummer.

• August 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I’m a digital nomad and freelance dance teacher so I totally get the challenges of working from home. I do however wish I could just switch off. Instead the work piles up very quickly. Thank goodness I get to also go to a studio and teach my students otherwise, I rarely see people when I work from home.

• August 15, 2017 at 10:32 pm

That’s so cool! What type of dance do You teach? My daughter was a competitive dancer until she had to quit for health reasons.

• August 15, 2017 at 7:52 pm

The distractions are always a challenge but I’m sure worth it to stay at home and work 🙂

• August 16, 2017 at 3:35 am

Totally worth it!

• August 15, 2017 at 8:08 pm

There are great benefits to working at home– I agree. I also agree with some of the disadvantages. I worked form home for about a year and it was a love-hate relationship for me. I enjoyed not having to go to a job everyday but I hated being surrounded by my work all the time. I also never felt like I could get anything done, without stopping to do something else. I especially when it was vacation times and my son was home from school, it made things even harder, but I do prefer it over going to a job everyday.

• August 16, 2017 at 3:37 am

Being surrounded by my work is absolutely the hardest part for me. I feel guilty if I’m not working on a project, or I spend too much time on my projects.

• August 15, 2017 at 8:13 pm

My mom has always worked from home, it’s really interesting to see a different perspective! Thanks for sharing!

• August 16, 2017 at 3:38 am

Thank you for checking out my post!

• August 15, 2017 at 8:38 pm

man working from home is no joke with the distractions, on my first year of it and really gonna have to buckle down on my focus! great read!

• August 16, 2017 at 3:40 am

It can take some time to get into the groove and figure out what works for you. You’ll find it! Good luch.

• August 15, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Oh I always wonder what it’d be like to work from home. I see my husband doing it from time to time and one day it’s something I’d like to try. I must say that I think I’d miss having coworkers and people to talk to and converse with on a daily basis. I think the social aspect of having a job outside of home is what keeps me doing it.

• August 15, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I’m a super introvert so I prefer not having to be social everyday. I get my fill of socializing at Faire and Cons, SO. MANY. PEOPLE.

• August 16, 2017 at 1:09 am

I wouldn’t either. It’s hard sometimes but it’s wonderful!!!

• August 16, 2017 at 12:59 am

I work from home also. There are definitely pros and cons! Wouldn’t change it for the world though…

• August 16, 2017 at 1:08 am

I wouldn’t either!

• August 16, 2017 at 1:55 am

I love this! My dream is to work from home! I agree I always get distracted but there is so much more that keeps me motivated and on track! Like the freedom etc! Great post!

• August 16, 2017 at 3:31 am

Thank you! I’m pretty sure someday soon you will. You are such a great blogger, I think you will make it big!

• August 16, 2017 at 2:43 am

I love working from home, the flexibility and freedom, but after a while I did miss having coworkers, chatting and all those fun moments back in office place.

• August 16, 2017 at 3:35 am

I can’t wait to be my own boss.! I would love to have the freedom to work from home as well, because I’m definitely a home body lol.

• August 16, 2017 at 3:39 am

I am too! I’m such an introvert. I’m sure you will love it!!

• August 16, 2017 at 4:25 am

I’ve been working from home for three months and I agree with this list! I am often sooo distracted but I do love that I’m able to raise my son how I want to and be with him everyday. It’s also so nice being so in control of your daily schedule.

• August 16, 2017 at 4:46 am

That’s Awesome! I’m so glad you are able to do it!

• August 16, 2017 at 7:39 am

Totally agree with your list, so spot on!!

• August 16, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Thank you!

• August 16, 2017 at 1:02 pm

I’d love to work from home. I’m still trying to figure out how to do it and be still be profitable lol.

• August 16, 2017 at 1:13 pm

It does take time to build a business. But it’s really worth it!

Comments are closed.